Saturday, September 5, 2009

today's work - kiln shelves out of castable

Man, I searched the web over and under for some refererence to building kiln shelves out of refractory castable and I finally (after months of searching) came up with this research article (norwegian microsilica company experiment).  These guys make a synthetic micro silica that apparently helps create the best mullite matrixes ever.  They are really pumped about what they do, and I got really pumped when I finally found validation for my assumptions. 

Today I put together forms for these  castable kiln shelves - tomorrow I cast them. All of them are 18 inches wide and 36 or 30 inches long, and last ut not least 1 3/4 inches thick.  I rented a concrete vibrator to bring the material into the tightest possible relationship -  a relationship that will hopefully foster a fecund grove of mullite crystals.   I'll hopefully post photos after tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment